Exercising is not only one of the keys to healthy life; it also helps prevent heart disease and lowers stroke risks. Indeed, inactivity is a major risk factor for developing coronary artery disease and it can also lead to high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes. Exercising 30 to 40 minutes at least 3 to 4 times a week reduces blood pressure, raises “good cholesterol” and helps regulate insulin requirements. Bring physical activity into your daily life!
Daily physical activity does not require a lot of time, but it benefits your body a lot. It does not mean you have to undergo intensive tough fitness programs but only get used to introducing soft activities in your daily life: chance is, you will not even notice you are exercising!Why not start by exercising at home? It allows your children to see you being active, which sets a good example for them. The best part is that you can combine exercise with other activities.[/vc_column_text]
- Go out for a short walk before breakfast, after dinner or both! Start with 5-10 minutes and work up to 30 minutes.
- Walk or bike to the corner store instead of driving.
- Housework is an exercise too!
- Work in the garden or mow the grass. Do not cheat: using a riding mower doesn’t count! Rake leaves, prune, dig and pick up trash.
- When walking, pick up the pace from leisurely to brisk. Choose a hilly route.
- When watching TV, sit up instead of lying on the sofa. Better yet, spend a few minutes pedaling on your stationary bicycle while watching TV. Instead of asking someone to bring you a drink, get up off the couch and get it yourself.
- Stand up while talking on the telephone.
- Walk the dog and play with him.
Activities with family and friends are also a great way for you to exercise without noticing. Enjoy recreational activities and take good care of your health at the same time. Do not hesitate to look for opportunities such as these to be active and have fun at the same time:
- Plan family outings and vacations that include physical activity (strolling, hiking, swimming, etc.)
- See the sights in new cities by walking, jogging or bicycling.
- Make a date with a friend to enjoy your favorite physical activities. Do them regularly.
- Play your favorite music while exercising: that will motivate you.
- Dance with someone or by yourself. Take dancing lessons. Hit the dance floor on fast numbers instead of slow ones.
- Join a recreational club that emphasizes physical activity.
- At a picnic, join in on badminton instead of croquet.
Make up other activities that correspond to your daily life and likes and introduce easy exercising in your life! Do not hesitate to share your tips with your family and friends.